Sanctuary Mountain



On Friday, 6 April  we went to sanctuary Mountain. we learnt about native species and plants here are some facts:

  • 90% of the bush in New Zealand is endemic (only found in NZ).
  • Main pests include rabbits, possums, stoats, rats, cats, and weasels.
  • For every 20 kiwi babies born 17 are killed by stoats.
  • Rabbits were bought in to the country for hunting but their numbers got out of control. They considered bringing in foxes to get rid of them but decided on stoats. 
  • The kiwi population is still in decline. The population is being reduced by 2% a year. That works out to be about 40 kiwi dying each week.

I found this fun.

Comments

  1. I found it fun too! The things we learned about were really interesting. A lot of them I didn't know about.
    My favourite animals were the Tutara and the Takeahe.

    What were your favourite animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the Tutara, as well.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you found this fun Rylan, so did I. I was really surprised by how much humans have disrupted the habitats of so many native NZ birds. What things stood out to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I found interesting is how meany the possums and rabbits can have in a month.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts